Poor drafting can lead to ambiguity and possibly failure of the Will. The Courts will not attempt to unravel a poorly drafted Will where the meanings are unclear. Wills are viewed by the Courts as being drafted by a well-meaning amateur or a professional and the professionally drafted Will will not receive the same leniency as the ‘home grown’ variety. Trusts should be written with as much flexibility as possible to give longevity to a Will and in many circumstance the more flexible the Will the less likelihood of errors there will be. Drafting for Success will teach the student the art of drafting through the use of the Sure Will Writer drafting program, but is applicable to any and all software programs and for the more experienced drafter who uses loose precedents.
The course is geared towards experienced will writers who wish to understand more about Sure Will Writer – Professional Will Suite and drafting in general using software as well but would also be useful for new drafters with and understand of the course contents (below). The course will help you achieve competency in the use of Sure Will Writer – Professional Will Suite, and understand the full features of the software and risk management controls within the program enabling you draft simple and complex wills.
The course will include:
- Setting up the program
- Navigating the software
- Setting up your client journey or pipeline
- Appointment setting
- What documents are available to the draftsman
- Overview of the structure of wills
- Data input
- Trust options and their uses
- Mirror wills
- Manual editing and including your favorite precedents
- Overview of common mistakes
- Will commentary
- Severing joint tenancies including unilateral severance
Other objectives will include:
- Dealing with chattels (the 2014 Act);
- Drafting for businesses;
- Dealing with foreign property;
You will no doubt benefit from more than this!
- Learn to develop your own drafting style
- The course is run on an interactive basis. Delegates will take part in practical Will writing sessions using instruction forms to create documents on the system.
Remember any software package is a tool kit; it is not a substitute for education, and experience.
16th January 13th March – FULLY BOOKED 14th May
Sure Will Writer – Professional Will Suite is a cloud based system available from multiple browsers and operating systems.
The Society offer support with the system. We will check your first 6 wills in full for free. There after they will charge £35 per document.
For a free 14-day trial of the software, please visit www.surewillwriter.com.
For more information or for any questions please call The College on 01522 68 78 88Contact Us